Friends of the James A. Garfield National Historic Site
The James A. Garfield Alliance is dedicated to supporting the James A. Garfield National Historic Site in Mentor, Ohio. Operated by the National Park Service, the home of President Garfield is beautifully restored and interprets the history of his leadership and legacy. The Alliance seeks to provide critical financial and programmatic support to this important historic site.
The Alliance is operated under the umbrella of the nonprofit Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park. As a national park friends group, it seeks to identify and develop relationships with the community, such as schools, businesses, nonprofits and public institutions. Together with these partners, the Alliance promotes visitation to the site as well as innovative programming.
The primary goals of the Alliances are to increase awareness and engagement with the historic site; stimulate economic activity throughout Northeast Ohio; develop unique programming for the general public; and support educational experiences on President Garfield’s legacy for local school districts.
To preserve the legacy of the 20th president by supporting the James A. Garfield National Historic Site through philanthropy and inspiring the community into action.
Some of the Alliance’s current activities include:
- The Garfield historic site currently welcomes nearly 40,000 local and out-of-town visitors each year, providing an annual economic impact of more than $2 million to local restaurants, hotels and job creation.
- The Alliance works with travel and tourism groups, marketing specialists and private businesses to significantly increase regional traffic through the historic site and to expand the economic opportunities the site offers to Northeast Ohio.
- Engage local businesses in opportunities to use and promote this nationally recognized site.
- Educational programs and curriculum currently are provided to more than 60 schools throughout Lake, Geauga and Cuyahoga counties.
- The Alliance has embarked on an ambitious plan to significantly expand its educational offerings and reach through the development of an innovative new curriculum, coupled with an extensive outreach program.
- The James A. Garfield Alliance continues to grow community engagement, seek strategic partners and raise funds for long-term sustainability of the Alliance.
- In 2021, the Alliance hired a new executive director with extensive experience in philanthropy, fundraising and economic development.
- The Alliance raises funds in part to enhance the experience of the National Park Events and the acquisition of Garfield artifacts to preserve the president’s legacy.
- Other funding contributes to spreading awareness, community engagement and educational opportunities.
- Community outreach
- Social media, digital and web enhancement
- Historic Site promotion and marketing
- Educational and school engagement
- Partnership creation
Upcoming events are pending COVID changing restrictions
- President’s Day — TBD Feb. 21, 2022
- Easter Egg Roll — April 18, 2022
- Summer Concerts
- An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe – Oct 2022
- Host Corporate and Club Meetings and tours
- Private meetings and tours
We need your help. This nationally recognized treasure is important to the local community. The James A. Garfield Alliance continues to grow community engagement and is seeking strategic partners and raising funds for long-term sustainability. Federal dollars aren’t enough — we need local individuals, organizations and businesses to join us in preserving, promoting and enjoying this valuable historic site.
Donate and Volunteer
We know we can’t do this alone, so we need your help.